Money Saving Expert’s tip to let you claim £1500 to help pay energy bills – My London

by MoneySaverExpert

The rising cost of living is being felt across the country. Research by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation has shown that millions of households on low income have been falling behind on energy bills and going into debt.

In the wake of the cost of living crisis, Martin Lewis’ site Money Saving Expert has shared information on how to claim £1500 if you have been unable to pay your energy bill and have fallen into debt as a result. According to Money Saving Expert, all of the big energy firms have charitable trusts that help people who are in debt and struggling to pay it back.

This includes schemes that help with energy costs or that can make your home more energy-efficient. One energy firm that has a cash scheme for to those struggling is British Gas, which offers up to £1500 – even if you’re not a British Gas customer.

READ MORE: Aldi shoppers love £6 perfume that smells just like £113 designer version from Viktor & Rolf

This comes comes under the The British Gas Energy Trust Individual and Families Fund, which has been closed from the Spring and re-opens tomorrow (July 1). British Gas also has an energy support fund, which is only available for British Gas customers. This offers grants of between £250 and £750.

In order to be eligible for the scheme, you need to have less than £1000 in savings, be in energy debt of £250 or more. You also have to seek advice from a charity or money advisor before applying for the grant.

As reported by Sky News, it comes as over half of Britons are using less gas and electricity in an attempt to cut costs, according to a study carried out by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Do you have a story you think we should be covering? If so, please email

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here.

You may also like

Leave a Comment